Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the “invisible” killer. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. Every year more people die from unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide associated with consumer products.
- Rusting or water streaking on vent/chimney
- Loose or missing furnace panel
- Debris or soot falling from chimney, replace, or appliances
- Loose masonry on chimney
- Moisture inside of windows
- Internal appliance damage or malfunctioning components
- Improper burner adjustments
- Hidden blockage or damage in chimneys
- Only a trained service technician can detect hidden problems and correct these conditions!
- CO poisoning symptoms have been experienced when you are home, but they lessen or disappear when you are away from home.
- Never leave a car running in a garage even with the garage door open.
- Never run a generator in the home, garage, or crawlspace. Opening doors and windows or using fans will NOT prevent CO build-up in the home. When running a generator outdoors, keep it away from open windows and doors.
- Never burn charcoal in homes, tents, vehicles, or garages.
- Never install or service combustion appliances without proper knowledge, skills, and tools.
- Never use a gas range, oven, or dryer for heating.
- Never put foil on bottom of a gas oven because it interferes with combustion.
- Never operate an unvented gas-burning appliance in a closed room or in a room in which you are sleeping.